Friday, April 21, 2006

Toy train ride

21 March 2006
I have no idea how to move on from New Jalpaiguri (NJP) to Darjeeling. From that I've heard there're plently of choices here like shared-jeeps, trains. But ..what the hell, We'll see.



Toy train in Darjeeling


We arrived at NJP very early in the morning. It was a bit chilly there. I spotted another backpacker there. He's from Norway and also going to Darjeeling. Obviously he wanted to go by train. I knew the train was possible but what I didn't know was it would take whole day and would be THAT crowded.

It was quite a chaos to get ticket. It seemed to be special train (ultra slow speed toy train but not that proper one) I had to run across platforms to get the ticket and then back to Ticket Office on the other side to write down our names..etc.. anyway, I made it. We got tickets. Must be one of the cheapest tickets I've ever purchased. Rs 50 for whole day ride.

Train left NJP and stopped at Siliguri to pick up more people. Mostly weathy indian family on vacation with lot of kids and ladies that talk all the time. We got our lunch boxes here at Siliguri from Rs 40 each.



Darjeeling Train Station. Looks pretty in the day. And a bit crazy at night.


The train could go as fast as 1 km/ hour up to the hill. Sometimes the jeeps pass by and people in those jeeps take pictures of us and our train. Now I know how the animals in the zoo feel like!

Our Norwegian friend just sit there and talk to no one. No camera. No music. No Joking around. Nothing. I wonder if he was forced to travel..? And what is in that plastic bag and he's carring with him all the time..?



When we arrived Darjeeling it was completely dark. Everyone seemed to know the way where they wanted to go. I was standing there in my rain jacket trying to look where the hell the road is. But all I could see was only fog. No taxis around. I asked a guy who was hanging out there smoking where to find taxi. He looked puzzled and said "I'll try one!" And then all he had to do is just fish one of those jeeps on the street. It costed us damn Rs 100 just to get to the guest house. Our Norwegian friend (I wish I remembered his name) also came with us.

"It's up hill, hard to drive" I was told like that.

We picked "Andy's Guest House" from Lonely Planet (duh!) as it sounds like best place to stay for now. When we arrived the owner came to greet us and we were told that she had 2 rooms tonight. But one of them is booked for tomorrow night. So it means we could stay only for tonight and will have to check out tomorrow to find new place to stay.

Now I felt like it must be bad karma!

I asked that guy to share our taxi and he said "Yeah that guest house doesn't sound bad" now he got a room but we would have leave next day. He didn't offer us the room or anything. Just standing there felt sorry for us.(NICE!)


Our room at Andy's. And that was Rs400/night. Shower was hot when my friend
used it. But when it came to my turn water turned to be damn cold. It Ain't fair!


Room was OK, I wouldn't call it "Beautiful" but it was very clean, twin beds, with attached bathroom. And it was SO COLD that night. I couldn't sleep. I thought about Gagbeni village in Nepal. I just couldn't stand that cold night. Looking at my friend. That guy was even snoring!

Next day we had to check out early as other 2 backpacker chicks arrived damn early. We had to give away our room key to them coz they wanted to go out for breakfast and wanted to see their room tidy-up when they come back. How bitchy.. grrrr~! Maybe I should just use to toilet and don't flush it. Leave it to them. Yeah how about that.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.